Keynote: Five E-Cigarette Summits on – what are we still fighting about?
16:40 - 17:00
Public Health and Policy
From the beginning e-cigarettes have been a contentious subject with the battle lines drawn between those who believe they will undermine tobacco control efforts, and those who believe that they have great potential to reduce the harms from smoking. Caught in the middle of this (not always polite) war of science and words are ordinary people attempting to make informed decisions about their lives and their health. Vapers have become passionate advocates for e-cigarettes, which many accredit for saving their lives. They are true experts in this field – and yet often their voices are missing from the debate. This presentation will cover the following topics, but from a consumer point of view:
- Challenges for consumers – changing perceptions and promoting understanding of vaping and the people who do it.
- Challenges for public health – engaging with vapers, understanding the validity of their experiences and using that information to help others.
- Challenges for all; the nicotine landscape is changing, is that a benefit or a threat?
- Leading by example – the UK is well positioned to show the world how it should be done, but is it brave enough?
- Sarah Jakes Vaper - Board Member - New Nicotine Alliance
« Back to previous page